At CyberStreams, our primary goal is always to effectively leverage technology to improve the business models of our customers. Believe it or not, this isn't always a game of selling better equipment. Often it is as simple as optimizing resources we already own (or even abandoning those that are overkill).
In the spirit of efficiency, we thought we would take a moment to talk about ways to reduce business consumption. Leading this charge is the growing trend of cloud computing. The cloud asks a simple question of small business owners: Why run a server 24/7/365 for your minimal staff presence?
Below you will find some simple tips to improve Green IT use and make some Green Office Improvements.
• Implement user access codes to restrict use of printers and digital copiers
• Set volume limits by user or department
• Route document filing and record keeping to cloud based databases
• Maximize electronic tools & documents instead of print
• Use recycled paper
• Route inbound faxes to an email address
• Reduce dedicated assets with multifunction devices
• Make office improvements to lighting fixtures and optimize the use of natural light
• Pull reports on average equipment workloads and discover ways to optimize use
• Move unnecessary servers and devices to the cloud
• Set devices to enter sleep mode during off hours
• Return printer cartridges for recycling
• Trade in older equipment for re-manufacturing
• Purchase office supplies and furniture made from recycled materials
• Empower employees to web-commute when it fits the business needs
• Develop strategies for sales people to present using web conferencing (also will expand your geographic reach)
CyberStreams is a IT Consulting firm which serves over 300 small and medium sized businesses in the Greater Pacific Northwest.