How to: Manage SharePoint Content by Using the Content Organizer
Check out our how to guide designed to manage content on your SharePoint Site. This feature is not enabled by default on SharePoint Online. Content Organizer is a SharePoint feature that has the ability to automatically manage important library tasks. Here are some key features of Content Organizer:
- Route documents to different libraries or folders
- Upload all documents to a Drop off Library
- Manage folder size
- Mange duplicate submissions
- Maintain audit logs
Steps to enable Content Organizer:
Note You must have at least Site Owner Permissions to configure Content Organizer.
- Navigate to the site you want to configure. Select options and choose Site Settings.
- In the Site Settings Page, under Site Actions select Manage Site Features.
- Activate Content Organizer in Site Features.
- Navigate to the gear icon and select Site Settings. Under Site Administration select Content Organizer Settings.
- Then under the Folder Partitioning section, ensure the box to create subfolders is selected and click OK.
- Return to Site Settings, select Content Organizer Rules. To create a new rule, click New Item
- Fill in the details as required, including Submission’s Content Type and Conditions. Our example rules criteria:
Name: Sales Rule
Group: Document Content Types
In the Conditions category we have
Operator: Contains All of
- In the Target Location category select Browse for the destination. Here we have selected Documents.
- On the sidebar menu, click Site Contents, and select Drop Off Library.
- Create a new document by selecting New Document. A dialog box will appear select the desired document. With our new rule in place we have the value set with the term “Sales”. We have selected the “Sales Training Blog” word file.
- After selecting the file a new dialog box will appear, type in the title of the file. Click Submit when finished. Refresh the Drop Off Library page.
- Here you see the “Sales Training Blog” word file in the Documents library.