Before You Jump Into the Cloud, Determine What Public Cloud Platform is Right for YOUR Needs
Ask The Right Questions
When determining which public cloud platform is the best fit for your company, you shouldn’t need to examine many outside sources. Rather, the questions you ask should be internal. What matters the absolute most is how the platform will fit your purpose. You should be focused on your team’s skill sets, needs, and requirements to help you make the right choice.
- Will you be building lightweight web or mobile applications from common web services that you’d rather not recreate yourself?
- What skills does your development team bring to the problem?
- Do you need to ensure data storage in specific geographic locations?
- Does security and compliancy top your list of concerns?
Far more important than any feature-by-feature comparisons is assessing the above questions. Your selection of services needs to match up with your business requirements – and agility and developer productivity are typically at the top of a business’s concerns.
Understanding Your Choices
For example, Amazon Web Services could be the best fit for your development team while your web team might be more productive with Mendix or Outsystems. It’s hard to find a single answer as to what service is best for you in the market, but a number of variants can help to evaluate your options. When making your choice, you should consider
- Platform configuration options
- Monitoring and policy features
- Audits and certifications
- Development and testing tools
- Reliability functions
- Security controls
- Storage options
- Self-service controls
Examining the strengths of these features within each cloud service provider against the individual needs of your company will make your choice a lot easier. Only you can really tell where the strengths and weaknesses in your office lie, so defining the extra help you’ll need and how each cloud service will deliver that is crucial to your decision.
Finding the right public cloud platform for your company can be tricky but it’s absolutely important to maintaining efficiency.